It’s been raining almost daily here in the South. Unexpected. Rainy days inspire me to bake. We’ve welcomed the summer, with very little sun… humidity is everywhere; but the grass is so green these days. Gorgeous!
We’re packing and taking a few days off this week. Oh! so anticipated. We are headed to the west coast. If time permits, we might be going further up. Vancouver. So close to Seattle. Have you visited? Any suggestions on local markets? We have rented a space to stay near the north of Seattle Center, and I’m particularly very excited about cooking locally with abundance of local produce. Kids enjoy variety. Don’t they? I assiduously try to keep food in rotation. It makes mealtimes more pleasurable and social. My young daughter talks about food (and ingredients) often; so do we.
For dessert, we may vary between natural yogurt, cheese or fruit, and baking uncomplicated recipes, such as this tasty Gâteau au Chocolat is what I love. A small piece of the gâteau with freshly picked and pitted red summer cherries, makes a great treat. This recipe is part to the Parisian Crèche list, that you will find on page 133 in the book Bébé Day by Day, authored by Pamela Druckerman. We all loved it! Hope you do too!
- 5 ounces dark baking chocolate
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 3 large or 4 smalls eggs, separated
- Optional: whipped cream or crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a saucepan over very low heat, slowly melt the chocolate and butter. Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat. While mixing with a wooden spoon, sprinkle in the powder sugar, flour. Add the egg yolks once by one and stir. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Slowly fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Do not over mix. Immediately pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let it cool. You may serve with a dollop of whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream of your choice. Enjoy it together!
©Au Petit Goût. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.