There are so many things my family and I are thankful for. No matter the obstacles we face or even how difficult life is at times, being healthy is the most formidable asset we have. We feel very lucky and thankful. Thanksgiving holiday will be here next week.
I will be cooking surrounded by my loved ones. We’ve traditionally enjoyed Thanksgiving day eating outside, but this particular year, unanimously everyone voted to eat at home. Thinking of our little ones and how healthy it is to eat seasonal, fresh, homemade, I spent the morning preparing a simple (yet delicious) squash soup (mild) with no spices that we will be eating for dinner combining gold nugget squash, shallots and vegetable broth.
Nugget squash comes in small sizes, (as you know), and it possesses an intense dark orange/fire color. It gives a great consistency to a classic squash autumn soup. Most definitely, I plan to repeat it as a starter for our Thanksgiving dinner. To accompany the soup, I thought that some crispy apples chips, would do great. I took, granny smith apples (now in season) and thinly-sliced them (I used a mandolin). Barely sprinkled some brown sugar on top and placed them on a baking sheet for 25 minutes at 350º. I could have done some croutons or garnish it with fresh herbs, but I think apple and squash pair up quite well. It’s so delicious, seasonal, fresh and better yet, homemade. I hope you make this nugget squash soup this holiday season for your little ones too! Wishing you and your families a very happy thanksgiving holiday!
- 3 small gold nugget squash
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 small shallots (minced)
- 1 tsp organic whipped cream to garnish (optional)
- ¼ tsp pink salt (optional)
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Wash, peel, cut squash in small chunks. In a medium saucepan, add oil and heat for about 2 minutes. Add shallots. Cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add squash and saute. Cover with broth and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until squash has soften. Fully cooked. Blend.
- Garnish with herbs (of your preference), homemade croutons or just home-baked thinly sliced apples chips with a touch of brown sugar on top.
©Au Petit Goût. All Rights Reserved.