Another wonderful and simple recipe from Donna Hay.
A classic, homemade, easy, appetizing and visually engaging chocolate cake is, for those passionate about it, about one ingredient only: chocolate.
For our little ones, when they celebrate birthdays, this is a great cake to share with classmates, friends and their parents. And of course, it tastes better because it was made by mom at home.
Although one may find other chocolate tarts and cake recipes in Donna Hay’s recipe repertoire, I chose this one only because it is even simpler than most recipes. Donna’s simplicity in baking (and cooking) is one of the reasons I follow her work closely.
With little ones in mind, the ingredients are very straightforward. In fact, I’m sure many of you will already have these ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator ready to go.
As you and I know, kids (and many of us!) are chocolate lovers and would not hesitate to choose a chocolate pastry if given the chance.
For my young daughter’s 8th birthday, I surprised her with this simple classic. The icing (chocolatey as well) uses only dark chocolate, light cream (half and half) and some butter.
Quite fluffy and tasty!
I hope your young ones, friends and school community enjoy it as well!
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250g buttter
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup fine sugar
- 1¼ cups (185g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup (90g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- chocolate fudge icing
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) pouring (single) cream
- 70g butter, chopped
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and thick. Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture. Add almond meal and gently fold through the chocolate mixture. Line the base of a 23cm-round cake tin with non-stick baking paper. Pour in the mixture and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin.
- For the chocolate fudge icing, place the chocolate, cream and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove and set aside to cool completely. Beat in an electric mixer until thick and fluffy. Spread icing on the cooled cake.
©Au Petit Goût. All Rights Reserved.